Butternut soup is a soup prepared using butternut as a primary ingredient. Whip up this easy butternut soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort – it has a lovely silky texture.
A bowl of this thick and creamy soup spiced with green chillies will warm your body and soul.
Butternut Soup Recipe
1 1⁄2 kg butternut squash
2 large brown onions, finely chopped
3 small garlic cloves, finely chopped or 1 elephant garlic clove
500 ml chicken stock
1 teaspoon lemon juice
250 ml water
3 small strong green chilies or 1 large jalapeno, no pips, finely chopped
1 tablespoon melted butter
250 ml fresh pouring cream
- Peel and pip the butternuts, and cut it into about 5cm square chunks.
- Peel and chop the onions quite finely.
- Chop the garlic very finely, or push through a garlic press.
- Halve the Jalapeno pepper or green chillies and scrape out all the pips. Chop the green flesh very finely.
- Put the onions, garlic and chillies into the melted butter in a saucepan on a moderate heat and cook until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the lemon juice and chicken stock and stir until well mixed.
- Add the water and the cubes of butternut, and simmer until the soup is thick and all the ingredients are well blended together, about 1 hour.
- To give your soup a healthy punch, add some hemp seeds and liquidise with a food processer.
- Serve hot and swirl a tablespoon or two of fresh cream into the centre of each bowl of soup just before serving.
[Tweet “Recipe Of The Week – Butternut Soup. #Liferetreat_”]